Friday, November 30, 2018

Rent: Plan B


Hello, and happy Friday.

I was hoping not to have to write this message, but I think I can’t put it off any longer.

As you probably know, we applied for the rights to produce Rent in Spring 2019. (We are legally unable to produce any show without obtaining the rights and paying the royalties.) We applied in early October, and we learned a few weeks ago that Rent is a “restricted title,” due to the fact that the 20th Anniversary Tour is starting in 2019. The rights holders don’t want for any local productions anywhere to compete with the tour. In other words, they did not say yes.

As soon as I got the news I wrote an appeal letter. The tour will be on the East Coast in mid-late April, and the closest that it’s going to get to San Diego is to Palm Desert (February) and Riverside (June), so we really won’t be in conflict. As of last week, even though my letter had been received and was under consideration, I was told it could be a few more weeks until a final decision is made. I was advised to come up with an alternate selection, in case we don’t get the green light.

This is obviously not the news we wanted to hear. I will continue to be persistent, and I will let you all know immediately what the final verdict is.

In the meantime, I’m asking for your input. What musicals would you like to see produced in the spring? Bear in mind that we need to have a big cast, and there needs to be good roles for men and women. I personally lean more toward contemporary-ish musicals, although I’m completely open at this time.

We audition in less than two months, and production meetings will start soon, so time is of the essence. I’m sorry, guys—I wish I had more promising news. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that they will give us the rights to Rent.

--Katie Rodda

11 comments:

  1. If you can’t do aren’t (still hoping it’s Rent) maybe Heathers, kinky boots, Sweeney Todd, into the woods, wicked, in the heights, dear Evan Hansen, spring awakening, next to normal, or maybe Hamilton.... I know I wrote a lot I still prefer Rent above all of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rights to Hamilton won’t be available for a VERY long time! Same with Dear Evan Hansen..

      Delete
  2. Sweeney Todd? Jekyll and Hyde? The Scarlet Pimpernel? Barnum? Chess? A funny thing happened on the way to the forum?
    This is so sad! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry! :( I hope we still can! Some other good shows are Heathers, Avenue Q, Addams Family, Pippin, Sunday in the park with George, and The Drowsy Chaperone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be interested in coming out for Heathers, Spring Awakening, Mamma Mia, or A Chorus Line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For other contemporary - Bare, Heathers, First Date, Spring Awakening, In the Heights, Murder Ballad, American Idiot, Legally Blonde, Bonnie & Clyde, Urinetown....but hope you can do Rent!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, this is sad to hear! Suggestions that I can think of are Be More Chill, Pippin, Spring Awakening, Dear Evan Hansen, Heathers, The Waitress? That's all I can think of right now. Hopefully things work out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m seeing a lot of Pippin, that’s an awesome play!! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  8. Into the woods, funny girl, in the heights, Tarzan, company, spring awakening, Addams family, shrek, les miserables, 25th annual Putnam spelling bee, side show, chess, mamma Mia, urinetown, fiddler on the roof, hairspray, tick tick boom, godpsell, bye bye birdie, pippin

    ReplyDelete